The youngest of the characters, Mimi is 19 and had a "thing" with Benny three months before Christmas Eve 1989 (although, in the movie adaption, it was two years before Angel's funeral).
When she first meets Roger Davis, she flirts with him ("Light My Candle"), but later he pushes her away when she makes more advances ("Out Tonight" and "Another Day"). He apologizes later and asks her to go to the protest being held by Maureen Johnson, an ex-roommate of Roger, and to dinner with his friends afterwards, and she accepts. At the dinner, they both reveal to one another that they are HIV+, and they officially become a couple ("I Should Tell You").
She and Roger remain a couple throughout most of the show. They break up ("Without You") but then realize they are meant for each other ("Without You"). They break up once more before the funeral for Mimi's best friend, Angel, but then get back together by the end of the show when Mimi's life is on the line.
This is a list of the most acknowledged actresses who have portrayed Mimi Marquez.
Daphne Rubin VegaEdit
Daphne Rubin Vega is the original Mimi Marquez. She played Mimi from Opening Night until April 5, 1997. She has received multiple award nominations for this role, including the 1996 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, though she lost to Donna Murphy for The King and I. Vega was not included in the movie, as she was pregnant at the time of filming.
Rosario Dawson played Mimi Marquez in the 2005 movie version of RENT. She replaced the original Mimi, Daphne Rubin Vega, who was pregnant at the time.
Renee Elise GoldsberryEdit
Renee Elise Goldsberry was in the closing cast of the original Broadway run of RENT as Mimi Marquez, although the exact dates of her portrayal are not known. She was also featured in the film, RENT: Filmed Live On Broadway.
Vanessa Hudgens played Mimi Marquez in 2010 edition of RENT in the Hollywood Bowl production.
Skylar Volpe Edit
Skylar Volpe played Mimi Marquez in the 20th Anniversary US Tour of RENT in 2016
Solos (In A Duet)Edit
- Light My Candle (Roger)
- I Should Tell You (Roger)
- Without You (Roger)
Solos (In A Group Number)Edit
- Another Day (Roger, Mimi and Company)
- Christmas Bells (Collins, Angel, Mark, Roger, and Company)
- La Vie Boheme (Benny, Mark, Joanne, Angel, Collins, Maureen, Roger, and Company)
- La Vie Boheme B (Joanne, Mark, Angel, Maureen, Collins, and Company)
- Happy New Year A (Roger, Mark, Mimi, Angel, Collins, and Maureen)
- Happy New Year B (Roger, Mark, Angel, Collins, Maureen, and Benny)
- Goodbye Love (Roger, Mimi, Benny, Maureen, Joanne, Collins, Mark)
- Finale A (Mark, Roger, Collins, Mimi, Maureen)
- Finale B (Mark, Mimi, Roger, and Company)
- Rent (Roger, Mark, and Company)
- Seasons of Love (Company)
- Seasons of Love B (Company)